Reporting to the programme director and editor, the Paris-based writer/head of the New Media Desk at Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is responsible for monitoring violations of online freedom of information, cyber-censorship and control of online news and information, and for RSF’s advocacy on these issues.
To this end, he/she:
● Gathers information about online freedom of information and developments in cyber-censorship and surveillance.
● Drafts frequent press releases, articles and reports on these subjects and on other matters identified by the programme director.
● Develops RSF’s contacts and networks (correspondents, local organizations, journalists, hactivists, trainers, technical contractors, institutional contacts and so on).
● Conducts advocacy actions and awareness campaigns targeting/involving authorities, international organizations and local and international media.
● If required, may carry out investigative country visits.
● Is in charge of creating and coordinating a specialized committee that monitors technical developments in information control and tools for circumventing censorship and protecting data and communications.
● Gathers information that is useful for RSF’s project and assistance officers.
● Assists RSF’s regional desks with writing or verifying information in the event of a crisis or temporary work overload.
Location: Paris, France
At least five years of experience in journalism or NGO activism.
Excellent writing skills and very good knowledge of new technology-related issues.
Awareness of the issues related to fundamental freedoms and freedom of expression.
Languages spoken: French and English
Qualities required: Ability to act as RSF’s representative with officials and to give interviews to local and national media. Attention to detail, self-reliance and resourcefulness are essential qualities, as well as a readiness to work as part of a team.
Duties: Journalism, research, advocacy, communication, coordination, project management, surveys.
Position to be filled as soon as possible. Contract length: Open-ended
How to apply: Send CV and accompanying letter in French or English by email. No follow-up phone calls, please.
Contact person: Lucie Morillon
Contact person’s email: email@example.com Deadline for applying: 30/09/2015